If you are going through divorce or some other family law matter, you may be getting a lot of advice from family and friends about what to do. While these people mean well, their needs and experience with New York's family law may have been completely different from yours. Only an experienced family law attorney can tell you how the law applies to your particular situation. While everyone's family circumstances are unique, there are common concerns that apply to virtually everyone involved in divorce proceedings. Below I have posted questions I often encounter with brief answers that will provide a factual framework for individuals seeking answers to questions of the utmost importance. As your attorney, I will of course be available to discuss all of your concerns in depth and work with you to find solutions that are best for you and your family. This reference is intended to provide concise answers to help you navigate complex and difficult divorce and family law circumstances, processes, and procedures.
- What is the definition of marital property? What is included in it?
- Is everything I own marital property, or are there exceptions?
- Can the difference between marital and separate property be difficult to find?
- Do you have to split your marital assets in half in New York?
- What if my spouse tries to spend all our bank accounts before the divorce is final?
- We have been separated for years. Do I have to share property I bought during the separation?
- What if a spouse gets a major financial windfall or takes on debt during divorce?
- I think my spouse is not telling me about all our marital assets. What should I do?
Child Custody Questions
- Who gets custody of our children?
- Can I modify an existing custody order?
- What if there is an order of protection related to spousal abuse?
- How does child support get determined?
- If I or my ex gets remarried, will that affect our child support order?
- What if my ex owes me child support and refuses to pay?
- At what age will my children not be subject to child support and child custody judgments?