What happens after support judgments are issued and the owing party refuses to pay?

An order of support or a judgment after divorce that incorporates a support terms is enforceable in family court. A party subject to a divorce decree can return to the Supreme Court that issued the judgment of divorce for enforcement. A written violation of support application or petition must be filed with the court. The support can be enforced by the court issuing a wage deduction order. The order will direct that support be deducted directly out of a paycheck, including additional sums for any past unpaid support. If support arrears accumulate to a certain point, a person's driver's license can be suspended, bank accounts seized and frozen and liens imposed against vehicles and real property.

Talk To A Family Law Attorney Today.

Call 518-427-7000